Nick and Nate Diaz haven’t fought in years, but they’re as popular as ever, and experts find the UFC underestimated their fan base and wasn’t right to reject their pay demands. The Diaz brothers are one of the most recognizable names in mixed martial arts (MMA). Why does their popularity endure?
According to UFC commentator Joe Rogan, one of the reasons why Nate Diaz vs. Conor McGregor was such a hit was people loved Nate Diaz and Conor McGregor. When McGregor fought Eddie Alvarez, most people were watching Conor McGregor. When Diaz and McGregor fought, most people were watching the former.
Rogan says, “People love Diaz because he doesn’t give a f**k. He legitimately doesn’t. He smokes weed all the time. People love the fact that those guys are like that.”
Diaz became famous after defeating McGregor in the UFC in 2016. He forced the Irishman to give up in second round after an unsettling rear-naked choke. A few months later, the pair fought again in a hit pay-per-view (PPV) event.
And why do fans love Nick Diaz? Here are some reasons according to Reddit users:
- Because he often gives incoherent, awkward, unintentionally hysterical interviews
- Because whether he wins or loses, his fights are entertaining
- Because he has an iron chin and is tough as nails
- Because he smokes weed
- Because he never gases in fights
- Because there is nothing contrived or phony about him EVER
- Because of how he tried to mess with Anderson Silva when they fought
- Because he never, ever runs from an opponent in the octagon
- Because he is skilled on the ground and in standup
- Because he suffers from social anxiety (or hates the public) and still gets love and achieves great things in the sport
As you can see, the brothers have a lot in common. That’s why people love both of them and will continue to even if they never fight again.